With Conflux' self-limiting PTC heaters a new world in rail and train heating opens up. Now you can design heaters which produce high power when it is cold, they cannot overheat and they require no regulating electronics or overheat protection. The new heaters will rapidly melt ice and/or keep the train and rail free of ice without risk of overheating. The new type of heaters are especially beneficial for de-icing of couplers, brakes, suspension, rail switches, foot steps, water outlets, head lights, ATC antennas etc. Please contact us for more information.
Conflux’ unique heating elements enables heating of rail and trains in a revolutionary new way. You will be able to provide your customers with new heating functionality, which enable unique products that have not been previously possible. Together, we can extend your business and create new business on existing and new customers.
The new heating products include:
- Train couplers: Keeps the sensitive parts of train couplers free of ice at all times. The heaters cannot overheat and enables operation of the couplers during all weather conditions.
- Train brakes: Keeps all sensitive components of the train brakes free of ice at all times. It prevents ice build up on disk brakes, buffing brakes, brake cylinders, and all other components which are important for safe and efficient operation of the brakes.
- Train suspension: Prevents ice formation which limits the suspension of the trains.
- Railroad switch heater: Keep the railroad switches free of ice regardless of the ambient conditions. Conflux' powerful heaters prevents ice formation and snow build up at any weather conditions. They cannot overheat which is a common failure mode of conventional railroad switch heaters.
- Train foot steps: Keeps the foot steps free of ice at all times. Minimizes the risk of accidents.
- Water feed throughs: Prevent ice formation at water outlets.
- Head lights: Enable fog free operation of the head lights after switching to LED lamps.
Conflux' heaters are self-limiting and cannot overheat. They melt ice rapidly and prevent further ice formation. They require no overheat protection.
Self-limiting and self-regulating heaters will give you a strong competitive advantage in the future.
Conflux has developed a series of de-icing heaters for rail and train applications, including rail heaters for switches, heaters for switch mechanics, various coupler heaters, water drain outlet heaters etc.
Figure 1. A heater to keep rail switches free of ice.
The self-regulating heater produces high power in harsh conditions, automatically reducing the power in warmer days. The large area heater is in good thermal contact with the rail which assures that the rail is always kept at positive temperature, thus preventing ice-formation. The system is modular and each heater element is adapted to fit to all switch types. The heaters are robust and withstand the rail environment. The heating element cannot overheat and requires no regulating electronics.
Figure 2. A heater to keep train foot steps free of ice.
The foot step heater keeps the moveable foot steps free of ice in all conditions. The self-regulating properties automatically adapts the power needed to melt any ice on the foot step, and minimizes the power consumption in warmer days.
Advantages of Conflux' self-limiting heaters
The main advantages of using Conflux self-limiting heaters for de-icing of rail and trains are:
- The heaters can be formed to any shape and size to maximize the heat transfer from the heater to the rail or train component.
- The heaters produce very high power in harsh conditions capable of keeping all components free of ice at any ambient condition.
- The self-regulating properties automatically reduces the power of the heater as the ambient conditions get warmer.
- The heaters cannot be warmer than the temperature they are designed for which eliminates the risk of overheating and damaging of the heater and hurting the operators.
- The heater requires no overheat protection or regulating electronics.